An Emotional Cookery

emotionchart

This is the cookbook I’d like to write, in a nutshell. The emotions that define the reasons we eat. The daily and seasonal ย rhythms that define the emotions. The energetics that weave it all together. Call it an “emotional cookery.” Can’t wait to hear your thoughts! XOXO

Comments

1. marthasnail says:

I think it sounds brilliant, and I can’t wait to read it. XO

2. If anyone could write such a thing, it would be you.

3. smoothista says:

Your writing is so inspiring that a cook book based on those ’emotional precepts’ would be one that would certainly fit right in on my bookshelf. Go for it Danielle!

4. Nice idea. I’m intrigued.

5. What a fantastic idea – for me food and preparing food is so often linked to memories, whims, needs, etc …or the weather! Sometimes I change the menu at the last minute to suit my mood. I hope you do write this book!

6. Love this idea!! I think exploring the emotions and how they contribute to our relationship with food and our food choices is fascinating!! As in all relationships, we want them to be healthy….I think our relationship toward and with food is probably one of the most important ones we can nurture and build. When I was in cooking school I did a paper on Foods and Moods…. a long time ago….but I remember thinking there was not a lot of information out there. I think you could be on to something grand!!!:)

• Danielle says:

Yes, I think a big part of this is trying to indulge how we feel but in a healthy way! Eating ice-cream and chocolate is sometimes necessary, but how to find the lesser evil – satisfy while not going off the deep end. It is amazing that there is so little out there, but in other ways encouraging for me ๐Ÿ™‚

7. This looks very exciting. I can’t wait to read it and be inspired. ๐Ÿ™‚

8. Anonymous says:

Excellent idea whose time has come. I love the title, and feel this book could fill in a big gap.

9. I love it! And I think you will do a brilliant job with it! I’m kind of getting a Laura Esquivel/Isabel Allende/all those overlays of poetic appreciation for energetics/kitchen witching/herbalista. Looking forward to hearing more! x

10. Ooh, yes! I am struck by the timing because today I wrote a blog post about how grieving the end of my engagement (as in, my fiance broke it off and moved to Las Vegas) was paralleled by eating certain things. Denial was wine and greasy foods, anger was ice cream, bargaining was super healthful and basic, and so on. I didn’t make those conscious choices at the time, but in retrospect I can see connections between what I was eating and where I was at in processing the loss I felt. I would be really interested in a cookbook that explored the connection between mood and food, especially if it went into cognitive processes. (But that might be a little too egghead, right?)

• Danielle says:

Oh Kate! I’m sorry it was such a sad event that brought you to be thinking about this subject ๐Ÿ™ Though, I am sure if he is dumb enough to break off an engagement with an amazingly intelligent and beautiful person such as yourself, he does not deserve you anyhow. Isn’t it just fascinating how we gravitate to certain things when we feel certain ways? That is exactly the motive for me. Why do we? And what foods do we want? There are cookbooks out there that touch on the subject, but they always come from a “Cure your Depression with Tomatoes’ standpoint. And sometimes we don’t want to cure, we just want to be where we’re at, using emotion as a way to navigate our appetites. Anyhow, cognitive processes sounds good! I’m in the process of researching as we speak ๐Ÿ™‚ So good to hear from you, and lots of love as you move through a difficult time.

• Yes, I think it’s really important to recognize that when people are experiencing intense emotion, whether negative/positive, a “cure” may not be their *immediate* need. Often we must sit with emotion and frequently we sit with a bowl or plate of something! I am very interested in what you find out about how food factors into how we “ride the waves,” whether it’s extreme joy, extreme sorrow, or something in between. For example, foods of celebration–think weddings, births/namings, funerals/wakes, etc., things that are not seasonal per se–every culture has them, but why those particular foods? Do they have to do with the mood they evoke, or does the mood inspire the food, and why? So cool! And thanks for you love, this continues to be difficult and the positive intentions of my friends for both me and Tim are greatly appreciated.

11. Danielle says:

Thank you everyone, so very, very much for your comments and encouragement!! I’m feeling really excited about this idea, and I’ll try and share little bits and pieces with you as I move forward with its development. And you’ve given me some good threads to explore as well ๐Ÿ™‚

12. This is a brilliant idea and I for one will be queueing at the book shop!